Americans are a diverse and tolerant people, they have differences of
opinion on many issues. But as a people, we share a common dream and common
America that protects its citizens and champions their democratic ideals
throughout the world,
with a vibrant and growing economy that improves the standard of
living for all,
with a smaller, more effective and less intrusive government that trusts
its people to decide what is best for them,
whose people feel safe and secure in their homes, on their streets, and
in their communities,
where our children receive the best education in the world and learn
the values like decency and responsibility that made this country great,
America with the compassion to care for those who cannot care for
1. Because the American Dream fulfills the promise of liberty,
we believe it
should be attainable by all through more and secure jobs, home ownership, personal
security, and education that meets the challenges of the century ahead.
2. Because a dynamic and growing economy is the best way to
create more and
better paying jobs, with greater security in the work place, we believe in lower taxes
within a simpler tax system, in tandem with fair and open trade and a balanced federal
3. Because wasteful government spending and over-regulation,
higher taxes, are the greatest obstacles to job creation and economic growth, we
believe in a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution and a common-sense
approach to government rules and red tape.
4. Because we recognize our obligation to foster hope and opportunity
those unable to care for themselves, we believe in welfare reform that eliminates
waste, fraud and abuse; requires work from those who are capable; limits time on
public assistance; discourages illegitimacy; and reduces the burden on the taxpayers.
5. Because all Americans have the right to be safe in their
homes, on their
streets, and in their communities, we believe in tough law enforcement, especially
against juvenile crime and the drug traffic, with stiff penalties, no loopholes, and
judges who respect the rights of law-abiding Americans.
6. Because institutions like the family are the backbone of
a healthy society, we
believe government must support the rights of the family; and recognizing within our
own ranks different approaches toward our common goal, we reaffirm respect for the
sanctity of human life.
7. Because our children need and are entitled to the best education
in the world,
we believe in parental involvement and family choice in schooling, teacher authority
and accountability, more control to local school boards, and emphasis upon the basics
of learning in safe classrooms.
8. Because older Americans have built our past and direct us,
in wisdom and
experience, toward the future, we believe we must meet our nation's commitments to
them by preserving and protecting Medicare and Social Security.
9. Because a good society rests on an ethical foundation, we
communities, and religious institutions can best teach the American values of honesty,
responsibility, hard work, compassion, and mutual respect.
10. Because our country's greatest strength is its people, not its
believe today's government is too large and intrusive and does too many things the
people could do better for themselves.
11. Because we trust our fellow Americans, rather than centralized
we believe the people, acting through their State and local elected officials, should
have control over programs like education and welfare - thereby pushing power away
from official Washington and returning it to the people in their communities and
12. Because we view the careful development of our country's natural
as stewardship of creation, we believe property rights must be honored in our efforts
to restore, protect, and enhance the environment for the generations to come.
13. Because we are all one America, we oppose discrimination. We
believe in the
equality of all people before the law and that individuals should be judged by their
ability rather than their race, creed, or disability.
14. Because this is a difficult and dangerous world, we believe that
peace can be
assured only through strength, that a strong national defense is necessary to protect
America at home and secure its interests abroad, and that we must restore leadership
and character to the presidency as the best way to restore America's leadership and
credibility throughout the world.